What are Paperbag Shorts?
Paperbag shorts have a high waist and a pleated waistline. They also come with a shorter leg. A built-in belt, tie-waist or belt can be found at the pleated waist to give structure and shape to the gathered or pleated midsection. These shorts are a popular style choice during warmer months due to their comfortable fit and relaxed feel. You can incorporate a pair of chic, paperbag waist shorts in a breezy spring ensemble or casual summer day outfit.
How to style paperbag shorts
These styling tips and outfit ideas will help you seamlessly incorporate this fashion trend in your wardrobe.
- Create a work-friendly appearance. When styled properly, sleek paperbag shorts can defy casual expectations. They make a great office outfit. Layer a blazer or cardigan over your tailored button-down and tuck it into your shorts. You can finish the look by adding a pair of Mary Janes, low heels or espadrilles.
- Layer carefully. Layer the right piece on top of your paperbag shorts to add warmth and style. It is important to find a cardigan/blazer that falls just below your hips. An outfit that is too close to your waistline can add bulk. A cropped leather jacket is an exception to this rule. It doesn’t block the waist detail.
- Wear with appropriate shoes for the occasion. Paperbag shorts can be paired with a wide range of shoes. For a night out on the town, a chunkier heel might be required to extend your legs. A two-to three-inch heel is the ideal height for office wear. Flats worn with paperbag shorts may make the wearer look shorter.
- Experiment with different materials and patterns. You can experiment with different paperbag shorts in different patterns and materials to create outfits that suit various occasions and times of year. An outfit that is classic for summer could include pastel denim or linen shorts with a tucked in T-shirt. A pair of animal-print shorts or striped shorts can be worn with a neutral crop top for a night out.
- Your top should be tucked in. Style your high-waisted paperbags with tops that show off your waist. If you don’t want to style the shorts with a crop or bodysuit, but still show off your waist detail, tuckable tops are a good choice. This will prevent excess fabric from creating volume beneath the shorts. You can style your shorts with a fitted tank, ribbed turtleneck or light camisole, which won’t bunch.